Innovate For The Long Term: A Discussion With Laura Williams
Associations Connect Podcast – Episode 2
Do you lie awake at night thinking about how to navigate your association or nonprofit organization through the pandemic? Get actionable insights from Laura Williams, founder and principal of Williams HR Law, by tuning in to episode 2 of the Associations Connect podcast. You’ll hear her discuss:
Tips for steering your organization away from “reactive mode.” Instead, carve out time to innovate and strategize for the future. Look for the opportunities!
- Why it’s OK to accept that you don’t have all the answers right now. It’s OK to be vulnerable, because that can help you lead with transparency. The silver lining here is that we have capable and creative teams. Involve them in your future-forward creative exercises.
- How organizational survival depends on communication and strategy. For leaders, this means sharing information with staff – including those who are laid off. Don’t lose touch with your team, because on the other side of this we will all be adjusting to a new normal.
Looking for more? In this episode, Williams shares key steps for leaders who need help pivoting towards the new workplace reality:
- Stay up to date: The pandemic has accelerated the pace of workplace change and organizations must stay informed. Legal information services like the Williams HR Law COVID-19 Resource Centre can help them make sense of and strategize through legal measures such as downsizing.
- Innovate: Start thinking longer term – redefine your association vision and mission and how you provide your services. Be strategic in preparing for the future. What will it look like? Value propositions are likely to shift for all of us.
- Communicate relentlessly: Be honest with your team, discuss expectations and manage for performance. They might not be able to work the traditional 9 to 5. Instead, measure productivity according to goals, activities and tasks. Connect as often as possible to ensure people understand the objectives.
“This is a time where we have to pull together and draw on our collective learnings to move forward,” noted Williams in the podcast. “This is a true ‘we’re all in this together’ time.”
Finally, don’t be afraid to tap into your network and draw on all resources to adjust your processes for our new reality. Most of all, leaders, don’t give up on hope – it’s crucial, and it springs from recognizing new opportunities!
Click here to hear more about innovating for the long term with guest Laura Williams in the Associations Connect Podcast – Episode 2.